Intention setting
Advice, Fitness, Life Lessons

How to Start Your Morning with the BEST VIBES EVER

What my typical morning used to look like:
Hit the snooze button 3 times (minimum). Less than 15-minutes to get up and out the door. Rush to get ready. No time for food. Run to squish on a crowded subway or sit in traffic before finally making it to work, where the real grind begins. By that time, I’m already stressed and all off my game. Sound familiar?
From the moment I opened my eyes, I was rushed, which resulted in feeling exhausted before even arriving at work. That’s when I realized something had to change. Here is how I managed to change all that and start my day the right way:

1. Do Not Hit Snooze!
Those extra 15-minutes of sleep, although they feel good in the moment, actually do nothing for you energy-wise. The time between buzzes is so short you never fall back into deep sleep, and this also messes with your body clock. Instead, condition your body to wake up right when it hears the alarm until it becomes second-nature to wake up at the first buzz.

Chug water when you wake up

2.Chug a Full Glass of Water
(or half a bottle) as soon as you wake up. While you’re asleep, your body becomes really dehydrated. You just went 7-9 hours without any water! Chugging water fires up your metabolism, removes symptoms of fatigue, helps flush out toxins your body cast out while you were asleep making room to absorb the nutrients from your breakfast.

3. Reach for my chews
Orange flavored Vitamin C chew from GNC, and Olly Endless Energy gummy. If you happen to sleep with a partner, friend, child, dog, whomever – they will appreciate it because this is a great way to mask morning breath. My boyfriend actually greets me with a “Hey Vitamin Girl” followed by a kiss every morning(LOL) These flavors cleanse my palette, taste good, and the mixture of antioxidants and caffeine let me know its time to wake up.

My morning vitamins

4. Twenty-Minute Run
For me, this is between 2.5-3 miles, just enough to get my heart rate up and break a little sweat. I like to get my cardio done first thing, while I’m still a little groggy. I also take this time to catch up on my favorite podcasts (6 Podcasts that Will Enhance Your Life) or listen to music. (20-Min Playlists According to your Mood) You can do this outside or on the treadmill (5 Fat Blasting [20-Min] Treadmill Routines). If running isn’t your thing, try a 20-Min HIIT routine instead.

5. Recharge
I light a candle to benefit from the aromatherapy their scent provides. (Here are My Favorite Candles to Light in the Morning) Today I chose my Syracuse Orange Lumi candle. The crisp scents of blood orange, grapefruit and bergamot uplift and eliminate anxiety and stress. Now is when I take a few minutes to write in my gratitude log and set my intention for my day. Doing this daily has made such a huge impact on my overall attitude and mood.

Intention setting
Pull your yoga mat out. Start by sitting in a comfortable position. Inhale, and exhale deeply. Bring awareness to your heart. Actually bring your hands to your heart now.

Ask yourself: “How do I want to feel today?” Do you want to feel: Happy, loved, thoughtful, motivated? Choose the feeling that you most identify with and focus on it.

Observe the movement in your breath as you inhale your good intentions, and exhale all grudges, negative emotions, and anything holding you down. Do this for about a minute or two. I then take 2 more minutes to write in my 5-Minute Journal where I list the 3 things I am grateful for that day.
(If you want more details on how I set my intention every day, read “How 5-Minutes of Daily Intention Setting Can Change your Life“)

6. Flow it out
I follow my intention with a 15-20 Minute yoga flow. I’m very mindful about each movement and keep my intention throughout the flow. (More about The Importance of Mindful Exercise) Here are some short yoga flows you can do at home: (20-Minute Vinyasa flow; 15-Minute Hip Opening Yoga Flow)

Mood altering scents

7. Take an Energizing Shower
Light your favorite incense and play your favorite tunes before lathering up. I love these soaps (Stress Relieving scent & Energy scent) from Bath & Body. I alternate between the two depending on how I feel, and I really find it improves my mood. * Get 25% off your entire order if you use code AIRISCRISP through Labor Day!

Face products for clear skin

8. Skincare Routine, Look Good, Feel Good ✓
Find what products work for you and apply them daily. I use a toner, serum, eye cream and spf moisturizer. I also moisturize my entire body with the citrus or eucalyptus scents from Bath & Body. Again, love this stuff. Make sure you choose your outfit the night before and its waiting for you when you get out the shower. Doing this makes you feel put together and you don’t have to waste any time choosing in the morning.

Raspberry smoothie; easy-to-make smoothie; chia seeds; hemp seeds

Raspberry Smoothie

9. Breakfast & More Vitamins
I hard boil 5 eggs every Sunday night and eat one every morning Mon-Fri. I make myself my morning smoothie to drink on the way to work. (Click here for: My Favorite Smoothie Recipes) I also take a multivitamin, a Hair, Skin & Nails vitamin and one for anti-stress. (Read this for A Peek Inside my Vitamin Arsenal)
Don’t forget to mark your calendar on the way out with a “Check” and a “Smiley” (✓ Means you completed your workout, and 🙂 Means you had a nutritious breakfast)

Goal Tracking Calendar

Try this routine out tomorrow morning, and conquer the rest of your day with a feeling of accomplishment.

*This post was not sponsored. All products mentioned were mentioned because I use them daily, and I love the way they make me feel.

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

• Reply Gina Diaz September 3, 2017 at 3:03 am

Thank you for being a beautiful inspiration to me today! I definitely need to run, light a candle and make more smoothies because I really miss them so much. I used to have one every morning when I exercise. Love all about this post. Happy Sunday, beauty. Xx, Gina

• Reply Darya September 5, 2017 at 4:23 am

Hi Lani,

First of all, I’ve managed to change my morning routine too. I was impressed with the books called The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod (one of the most life changing books ever written) and decided to transform my life. I absolutely like your tips. I actually follow all of them except reaching for Vitamin C chew from GNC, and Olly Endless Energy gummy. I definitely need to try them.

xoxo

• Reply Michelle September 5, 2017 at 1:28 pm

I also like to work out first thing in the morning. If I don’t start my day right, I’m a mess all day LOL. Setting the tone for the day is so important. I need to start doing meal prep but every time I do someone else in my house eats it. And I really have to start with vitamins again – I used to be so diligent but I ran out and have not restocked. Great tips!
    XO

• Reply Aimara September 5, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Sounds like the perfect morning routine! I’m definitely adding some of these activities to mine!
    I’m super lazy in the mornings, but I should make time to do all of this because I work from home, so I just need to be more organized!!
    Thank you so much for sharing and for the inspo. I think starting your day the right way is so important!
    XO
    Aimara

• Reply Maggie September 5, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Dang, I feel like you have the BEST morning routine ever. I hit snooze like no other, especially if I don’t have to get up for work. Actually, what’s worse is that I always set my alarm 15 minutes earlier so I can keep snoozing. Bleh. No wonder I feel groggy all the time. I wish I could workout and be healthy like you in the morning. I think I need to start with baby steps. Gotta stop snoozing and those vitamin gummies are great to jump start my day! Thanks for the tips!

xoxo,
    Maggie S.
    ❤Clothestomidnight.com

• Reply Lani McGuire September 6, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Lol at you setting the alarm early just to hit snooze! I used to be so guilty of that also!

• Reply Jacqueline. September 6, 2017 at 5:31 am

I love this routine. Such a good idea. I can’t do the morning runs unfortunately due to my knee but love all the other tips. I’ve been so awful at not hitting snooze and need to get way better at this

• Reply Vanessa September 6, 2017 at 5:42 am

This is such an amazing post! These are some really creative and helpful tips that I will definitely try out. I especially find the do not hit the snooze button very interesting. I’m always extremely tired in the morning and just feel like breaking my alarm clock. You are so right, I think it’s just better to get it over with and wake up. I was always told that it was really good to drink water before having breakfast because that’s when your body reacts to it the most. But surprisingly I have never heard that it’s good to chug a glass I will definitely try that out because water in the morning helps to clear your skin . Love this! Thanks or sharing:))

• Reply Natalia k September 6, 2017 at 10:39 am

Wow girl I’m really impressed you are so organized.
    I love all these tips perfect for everyone.
    Are used to do a 10K run every morning as I love running and it’s perfect to do straight away in the morning ,after my accident I haven’t been able to run more then 2k which is very sad, but hopefully one day, those chews sound great.
    After your workout you have a egg , I think I would be really starving! But I guess it depends how filling your smoothie is
    Xo
    Natalia k

• Reply Diana September 6, 2017 at 12:41 pm

I am definitely need to change my routine as for food diet, exercise. I didn’t do any exercises for over a month. I need to tune my body for sure. Thank you for sharing this tips. I just started vitamins for my skin and hair, but didn’t see any change.

• Reply Open Kloset September 6, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Hey Darling,
    Hows you?
    Ohhh loved your tips, I always have my morning routines to Start the Day, Happy and Positive:)
    Tibeti Yoga, helped me a lot:)
    It was super Interesting:)
    Love Kisses
    Open Kloset By Karina
    Happy Week

• Reply Sheree September 6, 2017 at 6:52 pm

These are such great tips! Your morning routine is so inspirational. I couldn’t agree more with the importance of healthy eating and exercise to start your day, as it truly gives me an energy burst more than coffee ever could. Some days it is so tough to wake up, but having a routine like this makes the mornings so painless. I’d love to know more about your yoga routine!

~xo Sheree
    PoshClassyMom.com

• Reply Manda September 6, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Okay first question, can you be my life coach!? I feel like I go through seasons of a good morning routine but I’m definitely not in one right now! When I set my intentions and I am in one everything in life runs so much smoother and I’m not as stressed. For me it’s hard to turn my mind off because I feel like my list is never ending but yoga and some prayer and/or meditation are sure to remedy that! The hardest for me is not to hit the snooze button as I’m a night owl and mostly because I have two children so night time is a major part of my work day! I’ll be in NY without little ones for a week starting tomorrow and I’m going to do exactly what you posted and see how I feel about the week!

Thanks for the inspo!

Manda | http://EvocativelyChosen.com

• Reply Rachel Holliday September 7, 2017 at 2:45 am

I am seriously going to try out your morning routine as it sounds like it leaves you feeling so positive and energized! I love the idea of lighting a lovely scented candle and writing a gratitude diary- that’s such a fantastic way to feel greatful and positive for the rest of the day. I really think that exercising on a morning is a great way to get motivated and energized too.

Rachel xx

• Reply Candace September 7, 2017 at 3:19 am

You really shared some great tips to do when you first wake up, most of them which I need to start doing! I definitely need to get out of the habit of hitting the snooze button (I must hit it at least 5 times before I actually get up). I do drink a lot of water, but I have never drank any right after I get up. I’m quite sure this would elevate my energy level throughout the day!

• Reply Jill Wright September 7, 2017 at 4:05 am

Morning routines really do set you up for the day. I love hitting the gym first up or going for a walk. It’s the best time to exercise. I have started drinking water as soon as I wake up too and it’s literally better than coffee for energy levels. Such a great post – thanks for sharing! J. x

• Reply marcy September 7, 2017 at 9:26 am

Thanks for sharing your daily routine babe!!! So many great tips and definitely need to put them in practice. I actually love to try the vitamins you are using and love to have smoothies during my mornings too. They are so healthy and give a good energy boost.

xoxo
    Marcy

• Reply Jessie September 24, 2017 at 7:09 am

Love this piece!!! Have a great morning vibe is so important, and it totally affects the mood of my entire day. I think you are so right about do not snooze. I tried the ‘5 second rule’ and I always count the 5-4-3-2-1 in the morning to push my self out of the bed. It’s quite a powerful tool. People have trouble to get out of the best in the morning should definitely give that a try

xx, JEssie